today we saw an audiologist who finally told us something. or at least, told me something i can remember. i knew that he had mild hearing loss in his good ear, but we didn't really know what that meant. so, here's what i got from our visit:
- archer needs a CT scan of his head to see how well his ears actually developed inside
- he doesn't really hear low pitched tones
- because of his lack of ear canal on the right, he cannot tell which direction sounds are coming from
- in areas with a lot of background noise, its very difficult for him to differentiate sounds
- if the results of his previous ABR showed response to vibration, then he could possibly be eligible for a soft band baha hearing aid to gain hearing on his right side
- intervention services in speech and language are highly recommended
so, there you have it. i'm happy to have a little more solid information about his condition. i love my little buddy, and i want him to be happy.